Friday, 8 July 2016

Update from Iraq - INTERFERENCE Nr 2 :)



For anyone under the age of 50 it is hard to remember a time when there hasn't been a major crisis in the Middle East but the events of the last few weeks is leading those of us who are working in the region to really question whether a major conflict isn't now unavoidable. Daesh in Syria and Iraq, Sunni Muslim versus Shia, Iraqi versus Kurd are just a few of the possibilities for the next chapter in the long history of warfare in the Middle East.  These are conflicts which, in some cases, have been rumbling on for years and will continue. The difference this time is that the multiple smaller conflicts going on between some of the same actors in other parts of the world threaten to link up; Libya, Nigeria, Egypt and possibly the most alarmingly, Turkey are all at tipping point and threaten the security of South East Europe which inevitably will drag European intervention. When we talk about European intervention we obviously talk about both Russia (geographically part of Europe) and the US (not geographically linked but they wont turn down a chance to be involved!) and with the imminent arrival of a new President "over the pond" things could escalate (or not...) quite quickly. Its an interesting but worrying time........

Ramadan has been and gone in Kurdistan and I write this as Eid draws to a close. In my experience Ramadan is normally a time of little work and much effort is required to motivate the local staff to arrive on time and put a day's work in. However, the Kurds are seemingly different! Not once have they complained or missed a day due to the death of their 3rd cousins uncle's barber which has plagued my previous missions through the holiday season. For this the Kurdish people have my thanks!! No stress this year.....

The mission I am on has a large number of expats working on it - I think we are now 22. During the winter we dropped to 6, so the influx of new staff from all corners of the globe has been "interesting".  As usual they are a mixed bunch, mainly French of course but with some notable exceptions.  A nice lady from Colombia has arrived who seems to know what she is doing and has worked in active conflict zones. Another lady from Palestine (lets call her "Princess"!) also turned up and walked very fast up to me with a great look of concern on her face. I asked what was the matter. "There is a man with a gun at the end of the street", she replied. "There is a man with a gun at the end of every street I replied. We are 35kms from the frontline of the War!". A look of astonishment took over her face, "War?", she asked. "Yes", I said with a sigh....."there is a war going on, im sure someone told you that?" At this point I walked off feeling rather exasperated........

To finish, I have to mention the Football, as obviously the other contributor to this site isnt quite sure what football is......I do love you dearly E but I dont think we will ever have an in-depth conversation about the offside rule..... :-)
England obviously didnt turn up to the tournament, Wales however flew the flag of Great Britain. Iceland were the neutral's favourites and did themselves proud. Germany as expected, played fantastic football and eliminated the Italians (who I obviously supported as well Umberto) only to be beaten by the bloody French... Now the Portuguese with Ronaldo and Co will take on Le Bleu. I will remain neutral but will secretly enjoy watching my French colleagues squirm in their seats as Portugal beat them..........
Ciao from Iraq..........for now....

1 comment:

  1. ...err...yes, football is SOOO important, how can we not talk about that?

    aaaarrrghhhh

    ...but I wonder how come that you didn't mention AT ALL the other (smaller of course and less significant) event that recently associated England with the GETTING OUT action... ;)

    ReplyDelete